27 Feb National Strawberry Day Bake n Babes strawberry pie recipe
Julie from Baken n Babes has shared her Strawberry Pie recipe with us. Enjoy
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold, cut in cubes
½ cup cold buttermilk
2 ½ pounds fresh Plant City Strawberries, washed cored and quartered
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 large egg beaten
Demerara sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- To make the crust. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Add cold cubed butter
Into the flour mixture until the butter is the size of peas. Create a well in the mixture and pour in the cold buttermilk. Use a pastry cutter or fork to bring the dough together. On a lightly floured work surface, pour out your dough mixture. Divide the dough in two and gently knead into two disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour. Chilling the pie dough is critical to allow the strands time to settle and relax and it also prevents shrinkage during the baking process. Dough can be made a day or two in advance if needed. Keep chilled. When ready to use let the dough soften slightly for approximately 10 minutes before rolling out.
- To make the filling. Mix cornstarch into the lemon juice and make a slurry. Anytime you have a add cornstarch to thicken up a mixture make sure to mix it into a liquid first or you will have clumps of cornstarch in your mixture. In a medium bowl, mix strawberries, sugar, salt and cornstarch mixture and set aside for 10 minutes.
- To assemble the pie. On a well-floured surface roll out one of your pie disks out to 1/8” thick. This will be your bottom crust. Transfer to a 9 inch pie dish. Trim any dough overhang. Roll out your second pie disk and you can make a lattice top or you can take a cookie cutter and cut out shapes. We like the heart shaped cookie cutter and the state of Florida cookie cutter. One of our personal favorites. Cut our shapes and set aside.
- Pour pie filling into the crust
- Place your shapes of pie crust on top of your filling. Brush the pie dough with the beaten egg wash and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Place pie on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until the pie crust is gold and bubbling.
Allow pie to cool fully before serving.